Wednesday 25 January 2012

Deborah Lippmann Lady Marmalade Review & American Apparel's Mount Royal with Constellation


So I finally got the top off of my Deborah Lippmann Lady Marmalade, or rather I got my Dad to take it off with some kind of rench or vice grip or something. I honestly don’t know that it was worth the trouble. I wasn’t thrilled with the effect, so much so that I forgot to take a picture. I never forget to take a picture so I think this indicates my level of dissatisfaction. I’ll have to review it again I suppose, because really what good is a post sans pic? Perhaps I’ll put it on someone else. There’s no denying it’s just not my colour. It is a shimmery bright coral. My Mother called it garish, but in the bottle I found it appealing somehow anyway. Not so much on. It’s just not my thing. I did four coats because I need polish to be opaque and this just isn’t. Even then I just couldn't love or even really like it.

That was yesterday. I changed it up tonight and am I ever pleased! It was my first time actually using American Apparel polish and if this is the norm than I’m a loyal customer from here on in. I did a blue (Mount Royal) and then layered some silver tinsel style flakes (Constellation). I love, love, love Mount Royal. I am just nuts for blue polish and as I mentioned am a stickler for opacity. The formula was a bit thick but went on easily and smoothly and super opaque. Honestly I could have done with one coat, but I did two for good measure. This is unheard of for me. I’m never happy with so few coats but it is just such great even colour and coverage.  Considering that it is the least expensive brand I own, (I’m a bit of a polish elitist, I admit, as you can tell from my collection list), I’m just thrilled. Here’s hoping the other colours measure up to Mount Royal!



I then did two coats of Constellation. The silver flakes are kind of awkward, but I guess given their size I couldn’t reasonably expect them to be otherwise. I do like the effect but they were sticking up a bit so I did a super thick top coat (OPI Top Coat). At 3 bottles for $18 as compared to around $10 each for OPI and $20+ for Deborah Lippmann I must say if these are any indication American Apparel is the best bang for your buck, which is a little funny because I find their clothing overpriced.



Well my nails look like the night sky and I'm off to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment